My dear Parishioners,
On May 15, Governor Wolfe announced that our county, Columbia, will have the stay at home order lifted and move into a “yellow” phase on May 22. Bishop Gainer has previously announced that Parishes that are in counties designated as yellow may reopen and the faithful may attend Mass. Here at Saint Joseph we will be able to provide Mass to the public beginning with the 10:30 Mass Pentecost Sunday May 31. Because of the precautions that our Governor Wolfe has prescribed, we will only be offering one public Mass a Sunday and one daily Mass a week. This means that the Church will used once every 3-4 days, enough time for our limited number of staff and volunteers to clean the Church.
Starting with Pentecost Sunday May 31, Mass will be 10:30am Sunday, and daily Mass will be 8:30am every Thursday.
Please note the following:
- Masks are mandatory for everyone entering the Church. The Priest will not wear a mask to celebrate Mass.
- The Church is to be at 1/3 of its capacity, we estimate that to be sixty souls. Every third pew is to be used, with five people per pew. Families may sit together. If you came together in a vehicle, feel free to sit close together. Please fill up the Church from front to back.
- The mandatory guidelines require that one door be designated the entrance only, that will be the front Shrine side door. The exit only door will be the St Joseph side of the Church.
- There are no Altar Servers, no Extraordinary Ministers, and no Lectors.
- Holy Communion will be distributed AFTER THE MASS. Masks may be removed to receive the Sacrament. The Priest is to sanitize his hands, and wear a mask before distributing communion.
- Volunteers are needed to clean the Church immediately after Mass, so that it can be ready for the next Mass- as we expect to expand the number of Masses to our normal schedule in the following weeks. Please contact Deborah Mowery, our Secretary, at 570 752 7000 to volunteer.
Please check our web page, www.stjosephberwick.com as we hope to add to the Mass schedule as the number of volunteers to clean the Church increases. Thank you for your continued support of Saint Joseph Parish, Berwick, the Light of Christ to the West End.